Who to contact for advice about a child or young person with SEND, feedback for Bristol's SEND Local Offer, or to make a complaint.

Get in touch if you:

Advice about a young person

Early help

If you're concerned about a child's safety or wellbeing, you can:

  • make a referral to First Response
  • phone First Response on 0117 903 6444

If you're worried about your child's learning and progress at their school or education setting, talk to your child's teacher or the school's SENDCO. The Ordinarily Available Provision is the support that all schools should offer.

If you need information or advice about early support for your child's additional needs, contact FLORA on:

Bristol's independent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) is provided by SEND and You (SAY). For more information:

Find support for families with children who have SEND.

Needs assessment

You can get independent advice and support from SEND and You.

You can make a complaint to us if you're unhappy.

View the guide to EHC needs assessments.

Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans

If you have a question about how to ask for an EHC plan, phone 0117 922 3700.

If you'd like to talk to someone about the content of a new EHC plan, or following an Annual Review, you can:

pdf See our SEND team staff structure (190 KB) .

If you're unhappy with your child's EHC plan, you can request a free mediation service Go to http://www.globalmediation.co.uk/our-services/education/special-education-needs (opens new window) to help reach an agreement.

You can appeal the content of an EHC plan (including the named school or placement):

  • when it is first issued
  • if we've changed it
  • if we've refused to amend it after Annual Review

You should consider mediation before submitting an appeal.

See the guide to resolving disagreements about SEND provision.

GOV.UK's SEND guide for parents Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-guide-for-parents-and-carers (opens new window) has more about EHC plans and your rights. There's also an easy read guide Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-support-easy-read-guide-for-parents (opens new window) and a guide for children and young people Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-support-easy-read-guide-for-children-and-young-people (opens new window).

If you think we haven't followed the correct process, you can make a complaint.

Health care

If you have questions or concerns about your child's health care, you can speak to:

Most children's health care services in Bristol are delivered by Sirona Care and Health Go to http://www.sirona-cic.org.uk/nhsservices/childrens-services/ (opens new window).

See health services for children and young people with SEND.

Health care included in an EHC plan is the duty of the Clinical Commissioning Group Go to https://bnssgccg.nhs.uk/ (opens new window). You can raise issues at the Annual Review, or complain to the NHS Go to https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-complain-to-the-nhs/ (opens new window).

Social care

To contact the Disabled Children's Service:

  • call 0117 903 8250
  • email disabledchildren@bristol.gov.uk
  • write to Disabled Children's Services, 5 Knowle West Health Park, Downton Road, Bristol, BS4 1WH

You can call the Home to School Travel team on 0117 903 7672 or email home.school.travel@bristol.gov.uk.

To discuss preparing for adulthood, email pathway2independence@bristol.gov.uk.

Make a complaint

Most issues can be resolved with a conversation. If you're unhappy with your child's school:

  1. Discuss the problem with your child's teacher, SENDCO or headteacher.
  2. Contact SEND and You Go to https://www.sendandyou.org.uk/ (opens new window) for independent advice.
  3. Contact an independent disagreement resolution service Go to https://www.globalmediation.co.uk/ (opens new window).

If these steps don't work, see the guide to resolving disagreements about SEND provision. This explains how to make a complaint to us, and what to do if you're not happy with our response.

Give us your feedback

We're always keen to work with children and young people and parents and carers to improve Bristol's SEND Local Offer.