Cooling towers register

You must tell the council about any premises (Health and Safety Executive or local authority enforced) that contain cooling towers or evaporative condensers.

The law that covers this is Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations (1992).

We record the information in a spreadsheet cooling tower register (56 KB) . This helps Public Health England (PHE) and us to investigate outbreaks of legionnaire's disease.

Knowing where this kind of cooling equipment is located is valuable when investigating an outbreak of disease where speed could be important in minimising the number of people affected by the disease.

You must contact us within one month if there are any changes and can notify us of changes online.

How to apply

When we get your application we will send you an acknowledgement and your details will be placed in the register. There is no charge.

Apply online

Register online on the GOV.UK website

Apply online to change a cooling tower notification on GOV.UK website

Apply by post

Complete the pdf cooling tower application form (12 KB)  and post it back to us.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that if you have not heard from the council within 24 days you will be able to act as though your application is granted.

Please note the notification will not be accepted until a complete application has been submitted.

Complaints or problems

Applicant complaints and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre .

eugo logo web large 0

EUGO (European Union Go) gives service providers and entrepreneurs from the EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) the information and support they need to set up or do business in other EU or EEA markets. Central EUGO website portal.

Contact information

Public Health Services (CH)

Bristol City Council
PO Box 3399
Bristol BS1 9NE

Tel: 0117 922 2500
Fax: 0117 922 4711