Types of taxi and private hire vehicle inspection tests, how to book an appointment, how to prepare and a price list.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) booking notice
Call 0117 903 6319 to book your test and make payments.
You can book up to two weeks in advance and then pay anytime up to the day before your test.
You must collect a receipt from the reception and show this at the MOT test bay.
If youre experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms do not attend your appointment. Follow the latest advice and information on GOV.UK.
How to book a taxi or private hire vehicle inspection test
We work by appointment only, call 0117 9036319. You'll need to give us a weeks notice.
We'll ask for the following information:
- vehicle registration
- taxi or private hire number (if applicable)
- telephone number
- make and model of vehicle
Taxi and private hire vehicle inspection test fees
Hackney Carriage, Private Hire Vehicle Test:
Test fee: £50
Retest fee: £25 (if applicable)
New Taxi or private hire inspection Test, under 500 miles:
Test fee: £60
Missed Test fee (if not cancelled within 24 hours):
Test fee: £50
Retest fee: £25
Cosmetic Retest: Free
Duplicate inspection Paperwork: £5
Before the test
Because of COVID19 precautions, before you visit us for your test you must:
- come alone. Do not bring pets, children or other persons with you
- make sure your vehicle is clean and free from any unhygienic matter such as used tissues, gloves or wipes
- remain outside for the test. There may be no shelter available, please come prepared for the weather
Attending your MOT test
When you visit us for your test, you'll need to:
- make sure you arrive 10 minutes before your appointment
- drive to the test centre and park in a lane. Your engine must be at its normal operating temperature for the test
- get out the vehicle before it enters the test lane. Our staff will take the vehicle to clean it and carry out the full test
- if you cannot get out of the vehicle, call us on 0117 9036319, we can make alternative arrangements
- your vehicle will be sanitised after the test but please bring your own sanitiser and/or wipes to clean and sanitise all internal surfaces after the test
Where a licensed vehicle is presented for inspection, the driver must produce their valid Bristol City Council hackney carriage or private hire driver licence at the time of the appointment.
Failure to produce a valid licence will result in the inspection being cancelled. The inspection fee will not be refunded.
Taxi and private hire vehicle inspections at fleet services follow the Vehicle Inspection Standards on behalf the licensing team. Guidance on this can be found within the pdf Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy (1.16 MB) .
Monday, 7am to 5pm
Tuesday, 7am to 5pm
Wednesday, 7am to 5pm
Thursday, 7am to 5pm
Friday, 7am to 4.30pm
Sandy Park Road
You can access our office through the stone archway off Bath Road.