Housing related support helps you stay in your home, or move to a new one.

The Supporting People (SP) programme offers a range of housing related services to help you live independently. We work in partnership with organisations to offer support so that you can stay in our own home or move to a new one.

Types of services

There are two main types of SP services:

1. services that are based around accommodation such as supported housing and hostels

2. services for you in your own home

Who can get Supporting People services

You could get SP services if you:

  • are an older person
  • have learning difficulties
  • have mental health issues
  • are an ex-offender
  • are fleeing domestic violence
  • have issues with drugs or alcohol

The services are available to you, whatever your:

  • race
  • ethnicity
  • disability
  • mental health
  • refugee status
  • age
  • gender and sexuality


You don't have to pay for support if you're getting housing benefit. You might be able to get financial help if you're not eligible for housing benefit, but you need to pay towards the cost of your support. Fill out the pdf application form for financial assistance (165 KB)  .

How to apply

Apply directly to the organisation that has the service you need. Someone else can do this for you, such as a family member, friend, or a professional. For a full list of SP providers, see the  pdf Supporting People Services - Local Directory (652 KB)


To make a complaint about a service, you should first contact your provider directly. If they can’t help, then you should contact us. See our pdf complaints policy (59 KB)  for more information.