Barton House evacuation: information for residents.

A carer's assessment helps you find out about things that could help you in your caring role.

As a carer, you need to look after your own health, and balance caring with other parts of your life, such as work or family.

Check if you can get a carer's assessment

You can ask for a carer's assessment at any time if:

  • you're aged 18 or over
  • you care for an adult who lives in Bristol
  • you share the caring with other family members or friends
  • you're planning on looking after an adult in Bristol

If you're under 18, see the young carer's page.

You can ask for a carer's assessment even if the person you care for does not get any services from us. There's no cost for a carer's assessment.

You do not need the permission of the person you're caring for to ask for a carer's assessment. You're entitled to one in your own right. It is not a test of your ability to care.

Having a carer's assessment will not affect your right to receive a carer's allowance.

Self assessment

If you would like to complete a supported self- assessment, call Care Direct on 0117 9222 700.

We're working on a way for you to do a supported self-assessment through this webpage. We will update this page when this is available.

Ask for an assessment

If the person you care for receives services from us

If the person you care for receives services from us, and there's a social care professional involved, ask your social worker for a carer's assessment.

A social worker will arrange a meeting where you can discuss your needs and your caring role. You do not have to complete a self-assessment first.

During the assessment try to make sure you cover everything on the carer's assessment checklist.

Go through the checklist and make a note of any comments or questions you'd like to raise with the person that supports you with the assessment. If you find the process tiring, you can ask for a break.

If the person you care for does not receive services from us

If the person you care for does not receive any services from us or an allocated social worker, fill in this carer's simple assessment form and return it to us at

You can also have a carers assessment completed via one of our trusted assessors:

Help with an assessment

A friend or family member can help you with your assessment.

If you do not have a family member or friend who you can ask, you can have someone to speak on your behalf. This is called an advocate. We can find an independent advocate to help you.

Let us know if you want an advocate, an interpreter or anyone else to support you.

What happens next

We'll contact you and work with you on a care and support plan and individual outcome. These set out how your needs as a carer will be met.