Apply for a petroleum storage licence.

Legislation exists to control the storage of petroleum spirit.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 require that where petroleum is stored with a view to dispensing into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine then a certificate to store such spirit may be required.

Dispensing means manually or electronically pumping the spirit, rather than tipping it from a storage can.

The Dangerous Substances & Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 put in place requirements so that any risks from the storage of petroleum spirit are reduced or eliminated.

An application form for a certificate is available. Fees will be payable for a certificate.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

If you've not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them.

You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Application process

Petroleum certificates are issued by Bristol City Council on the first of January for a period of one to ten years.

The current fees and charges for will apply:

  • Not exceeding 2500 litres £44 per year
  • Exceeding 2500 litres and not exceeding 50000 litres £60 per year
  • Exceeding 50000 litres £125 per year

Please note if you are applying for a multiple years, multiply the yearly fee by the number of years you require.

When requesting a certificate or renewing your fees please provide:

  • Site Address
  • Invoice Address
  • Number of years being requested
  • Purchase order number

Once received an invoice will be raised.

New applications

Applications for a new petroleum storage certificate can be made online or to request an application form please contact us.

The application form must be fully completed and the appropriate fee paid otherwise the application will be deemed improperly made and returned to you.

Your application will be determined within 30 days of receipt.

Apply by post

Please contact us  for an application form.

Contact information is below.

Apply online

Apply for a certificate to store petroleum ( website)

Application complaints

Please contact us in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Certificate holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Please note the Petroleum Officer needs to be informed of any accident, fire, spillage or suspected leak.

You are required to give adequate notice of proposed changed to your site including equipment, ownership or closure.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked and if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about the service you receive from Bristol City Council, please make a complaint or give feedback.

Petroleum Information Search

We offer a service to provide information about current and historic sites which have held a license or certificate. 

This costs £68 and is generally available two weeks after we receive payment, additional fees may be applicable if copies of plans are required.  

To request a review please contact us with the following information:

  • which type of search you require
  • the property address
  • your contact details

Also include a purchase order or reference number if required, so we can raise an invoice.

Contact information

Contact details


Tel: 0117 922 3400

Contact information

Public Protection (Pollution)

Bristol City Council
PO Box 3399
Bristol BS1 9NE

Contact details

Tel: 0117 922 2500 option 3