You can apply for yourself, for someone else or for your organisation.

Use the GOV.UK eligibility tool to find out if you are eligible. 

You automatically qualify if:

  • you receive the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • or you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • or you receive an Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) award, tariffs 1-8 and have been assessed by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty walking
  • or you are registered as blind under the National Assistance Act 1948 (partially sighted people do not automatically qualify)
  • you've scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ activity within the mobility component of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award
  • you've scored 10 points in the ‘ Planning and following a journey” activity within the mobility component of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award on the grounds that you're unable to undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress.

You may qualify if:

  • you have a child under three years old and need to transport bulky medical equipment for urgent treatment, or always be near a vehicle so they can be treated or driven to a place for treatment for a permanent illness
  • or you drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and can't work or have considerable difficulty working parking meters
  • or have a permanent and substantial disability which affects your mobility and means you have considerable difficulty in walking
  • or have a non-visible (hidden) condition that means you struggle with journeys between a vehicle and your destination and you either:
    • are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
    • struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
    • find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
    • regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control>
    • frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces

Mobility assessment

We may ask you to come to an independent mobility assessment if we can't decide based on your application. It is just to assess your mobility, not your general health. It's free and carried out by a qualified professional.