Find out if you need approval before you construct or change buildings.

Building regulations approval is different from planning permission. You might need both. Building regulations apply to building work and are complex.

You can submit an exempt building works enquiry form and we'll let you know if you need to make a building regulations application.

Find practical advice on home improvements on the LABC website.

There is also a list of common projects on the Planning Portal.

Submit an exempt building works enquiry form


Exempt building works enquiry form

You can upload up to 5 documents with this form.

What is building work

  • construction of an extension
  • conversion of a loft into a room
  • conversion of a garage to a habitable room, including a store or hobbies room
  • structural alterations to your house, for example removal or part removal of a load bearing wall
  • installation of cavity insulation
  • installation of new or replacement windows ( you won't need to make an application if you use a registered contractor from the Competent Persons Register)
  • conversion of your house into flats
  • underpinning your house
  • drainage work, including installation of a sink or toilet
  • building work  that affects a public sewer (see Wessex Water Developer Services for more information)
  • the installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations

Your responsibilities

Meeting the requirements of the building regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they're not the same person, the owner of the building.

Find out more about your responsibilities on the Planning Portal.

Contact information

Building Regulation and Standards

Bristol City Council
City Hall
PO Box 3399
Bristol BS1 9NE

Opening Hours

You'll need to make an appointment to visit us in person. Call us to book an appointment.

Appointments are at:
City Hall
College Green

Tel: 0117 922 3000