What to do if you're concerned about your child

The early years of a child's life are a key time for development. It's important that any special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) are found as early as possible.

Having a special educational need or disability could mean your child has:

  • difficulties with communication
  • difficulties with learning and understanding
  • impaired sensory development
  • behavioural difficulties
  • difficulties relating to other people
  • difficulties concentrating
  • physical needs or impairments

You can find out more about special educational needs on our Local Offer site.

If you're concerned

It's important to remember that children develop at different speeds and in different ways. You shouldn't assume that because a child is developing more slowly than others that they have special educational needs or a disability.

However, if you're concerned speak to:

  • the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo), if your child goes to an early years setting, such as a Children's Centre, childminder, nursery or play group
  • your Doctor or health visitor

The Bristol SEND Local Offer

You can find information, help and support for children and young people with special educational needs or a disability, and their families, on our Local Offer site.

Contact information

Family Information Service (BEC)

Southmead Children’s Centre
Doncaster Road
Bristol, BS10 5PW

Email: askcyps@bristol.gov.uk
Tel: 0117 357 4192