Information, support and guidance about health and wellbeing for young people in care.

Support to stay healthy

Your physical and mental health are important. While you're in care, we'll make sure that:

  • you're registered with a doctor and a dentist
  • you have a health assessment every year
  • your health needs are in your care plan
  • you have the opportunity to talk about your health at your reviews

Health assessments

A doctor or looked after children's nurse will give you a health assessment when you come into care, and at least once a year after that.

At your assessment, the doctor or nurse will:

  • talk to you about your general health and wellbeing
  • ask if you're worried about anything
  • check your height, weight, sight and hearing

They might also talk to you about:

  • drugs and alcohol
  • sex and relationships

After your assessment, the doctor or nurse will send a report about your assessment and a copy of your health action plan to:

  • your own doctor
  • your social worker
  • Children Looked After Nurses

Your health action plan has information about your health needs. You and your carer will also get a copy of it.

The doctor or nurse won't tell anyone else about your assessment unless they're worried about your safety or someone else's.

Contact a looked after children's nurse

If you have a question about your health or health assessments:

Mental health

Thinking Allowed Go to (opens new window) work with children and young people in care. They can help you if you're struggling to cope with difficult feelings. They can:

  • talk to the people involved with your care to work out how to make things better for you
  • meet with you and your carer to talk about why things are difficult for you
  • offer you counselling or therapy

If you want to talk to someone at Thinking Allowed:

More information and support

For more support services, see Advice and support for young people.