What is retirement housing to buy

Properties to buy are very similar to those for rent, but they tend to be slightly bigger. There are also more two-bedroom flats to choose from.

You can buy retirement housing through housing associations and commercial companies.

Housing associations

Several housing associations in Bristol own and sell properties on a long lease, with over 50 years to run.


Saffron Gardens Prospect Place, Whitehall, Bristol, BS5 9FF.

Telephone: 0117 914 4200

Schemes in Stockwood and Westbury-on-Trym

Guardian Retirement Housing (The commercial arm of the Anchor Trust), Fountain Court,
Oxford Spires Business Park, Kidlington, Oxfordshire, 0X5 1NZ.
Telephone: 01274 381 600

Guardian Retirement Housing, Guardian Court, Beaufort Buildings, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 4AN.
Telephone: 0117 923 7536

Guardian Retirement Housing, The Firs, Westerleigh Road, Downend, Bristol, BS16 6AZ.
Telephone: 0117 923 7536

Guardian Retirement Housing, 39 Falloden Way, Henleaze, Bristol, BS9 4HQ.
Telephone: 0117 962 2615

Guardian Retirement Housing, 31 Grange Close North, Henleaze, Bristol, BS9 4AZ.
Telephone: 0117 962 8315

Hanover Property Management, Hempstead House, 2 Selden Hill, Hemel Hempstead, Herts,HP2 4TN.
Telephone: 01442 242 419

Scheme in Stoke Bishop

Knightstone Housing Association, Station Road, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, BS22 6AP.
Telephone: 01934 520 052

Scheme in Henleaze

Redland Housing Association, Holly House, Corbet Close, Lawrence Weston, Bristol BS11 0TA.
Telephone: 0117 938 2700

Commercial companies

When a new housing scheme is developed, the first sales are often handled by the builder or developer. Then a company takes over further sales and managing the scheme.

Most commercial retirement housing to buy in Bristol is being developed by McCarthy & Stone, 01202 292 480. When finished, their housing is managed by Peverel Management Services Ltd., 01425 638 863. Sites being developed include Durdham Down, Clifton, Staple Hill and Downend.

Retirement Homesearch Ltd

You can also find retirement housing to buy from existing owners through Retirement Homesearch. They deal with Peverel retirement housing schemes and can arrange informal viewings, help with property part-exchange, conveyancing and removals.

Shared ownership accomodation

Shared ownership schemes are offered by housing associations with some funding from central government through the Housing Corporation.

You buy some of the property's value, normally 25%, 50% or 75%, and pay rent or a service charge on the rest. You may be able to get housing benefit on the rent or service charge. You must be able to afford to buy your shares, either by taking out a mortgage or selling your property.

When new shared ownership properties are built, the housing association will usually sell them direct to the buyer. If you sell your share of the property, then you'll need to arrange the sale to the next buyer, working closely with the housing association.

There is one scheme in Bristol designed exclusively for older people; The Oaks, Gloucester Road, Horfield. This is managed and run by Guardian Retirement Housing, Fountain Court, Oxford Spires Business Park, Kidlington, Oxfordshire OX5 1NZ, or call 08457 75 85 95.

Most shared ownership schemes aren't specifically designed for older people, but could be suitable. To put your name on a waiting list and for more information about Bristol shared ownership properties, contact these housing associations directly:

Orbit Housing Association
Telephone: 01454 627800

Sovereign Housing Association
Telephone: 08457 626058

Guardian Retirement
Telephone: 01274 381600

Knightstone Housing Association
Telephone: 01934 520052

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel
Telephone: 0207 820 1343

Independent advice on buying retirement housing