Barton House evacuation: information for residents.

Our retirement housing

We help find housing for vulnerable people who need it, as part of our statutory responsibility. If you're a homeowner, you'll be a lower priority for our retirement housing to rent, unless something like very poor health or homelessness means you need to be housed quickly.

How to apply for our retirement housing to rent

You'll need to join our waiting list at the Bristol Housing Register.

Other housing providers

These housing providers arent on the Bristol Housing Register; contact them directly for more information.

Housing associations and charities

These housing associations are run as charities or not for profit. They are registered social landlords providing a range of housing for people in need.

Housing associations work in a similar way to us and provide similar accommodation, but the way they decide who to house may be different. Homeowners may find it easier to rent retirement housing through a housing association.

Some housing associations with properties just outside the city welcome direct applications.

Charities and trusts

Some of Bristol's retirement housing is owned and run by independent charities and trusts.

Specialist retirement housing

You can live in our retirement housing whatever your culture or ethnicity. Some people choose to live with people from a similar background in specialist retirement housing, or where a mix of cultures and nationalities is encouraged, supported and catered for.

You can find out more about housing for older people from ethnic minority groups from staff at your local Housing Office, your local community centre or the Care and Repair Move-On Advice Service.

There are two specialist housing associations in the Bristol area:

Roshni Ghar

26 retirement flats in Easton that specialise in Asian, Caribbean, African and Chinese residents, managed by United Housing Association, 0117 942 4600.

Gulshan House

4 retirement flats in a small non-warden scheme for Asian elders in Redfield managed by Aashayana Housing Association, 0117 939 3911.


Almshouses are run by small, independent charitable trusts, providing low-cost accommodation for older people in need. Some almshouses were set up exclusively for women, while others were set up for the retired workers of a particular trade or industry.

Where you could live

Bristol Municipal Charities run three almshouses in Bristol:

  • John Barnstaple Almshouse, Old Market Street

  • Foster's Almshouse, Colston Street

  • Perrett House & Redcross Mews, Redcross Street

The flats in these locations are all self-contained with one bedroom, large enough for a single person or a couple. Rent is subsidised by the charity and there's no charge for TV licence, water or sewerage. You must be over 55 years old and have lived in Bristol for at least five years. Bristol Municipal Charities, 24a Orchard St, Bristol BS1 5EQ, tel 0117 929 0084.

Dr White's Almshouse Charity runs a group of 18 self-contained bungalows:

  • Dr White's Almshouses, Prewett Street, Redcliffe, Bristol.

The bungalows have a large bedsitting-room, kitchen with cooker and fridge, and bathroom. There's no charge for rent, but you'll pay a maintenance charge, electricity and gas bills. You need to be fairly fit and able to manage independently. No pets.

Contact: The Secretary, Miss D Martin, 21 Westbourne Crescent, Clevedon, BS21 7VB, tel 01275 876378. To view the bungalows, contact the scheme manager, Mr G Smith on 0117 927 6376.

Abbeyfield Houses

The Abbeyfield Society provides care and companionship for older people in family-sized houses, each with a resident housekeeper and the support of a voluntary house committee.

Abbeyfield housing is very different from the usual sheltered housing:

  • residents have their own rooms which they furnish and look after
  • most rooms have en-suite toilets and baths or showers
  • there are between five and nine individual homes under each roof
  • the housekeeper cooks and serves a main meal in the dining room at lunchtime, as well as supper in the evening
  • the housekeeper also looks after the residents wellbeing
  • all residents have keys to their rooms and the house door
  • residents are free to come and go as they please
  • friends can visit at any time

The costs are different depending on the room and house, but cover all household expenses, including food. You may also be able to get benefits to help with the fees.

Contact: Abbeyfield, 29 Alma Vale Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 2HL, tel 0117 973 6997.

Housing to rent with meals

Very few traditional sheltered schemes in Bristol provide meals, but these provide at least one daily meal:


All houses have a live in housekeeper who prepares lunch and tea every day.

Cote House

Cote House, Cote Lane, Westbury-on-Trym is a small scheme of retirement flats with a nearby residential home, New Cote. The scheme is run by The Merchant Venturers. Contact the housing manager on 0117 987 0105.

Hanbury Court

Hanbury Court is a scheme in Clifton where tenants can obtain meals from the neighbouring residential home. Contact: Brunelcare, 3 Redcliffe Parade West, Bristol, BS1 6SL, tel 0117 987 3500.

The Hawthorns

The Hawthorns in Clevedon is a commercially run scheme for active older people run on a hotel basis with all meals provided. Residents have their own self-contained flats.
Contact: The Hawthorns, 18-19 Elton Road, Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21 7RH, tel 01275 790 060.

Kirwin House

Kirwin House, Cotham, North Bristol is a large Victorian house converted into flats and run by the West of England Friends Housing Society. Residents can take meals at the neighbouring residential home. Contact: West of England Friends Housing Society Ltd, 5 Cotham Park North, Bristol, BS6 6BH, tel 0117 924 0476.

Very Sheltered Housing

All of our Very Sheltered Housing includes a restaurant or cafe for residents and visitors that may also be open to local older residents.

Get meals delivered

You can also get our Bristol Community Meals delivered to any retirement housing, or a company called Wiltshire Farm Foods can deliver weekly frozen meals.

Managed rental properties

Girlings Retirement Options Ltd is a commercial organisation that rents properties in professionally managed retirement developments across England, Wales and Scotland. Rent includes the service charge and water rates in most cases.

Independent advice