Where you can choose to study or train and how to find a course in Bristol for young people with SEND.

Education for ages 16 and over

All young people have a right to stay in education or training  until their 18th birthday. This is so that you develop skills and knowledge that you might need when you are older. 

Choose where to study

If you want to stay in education after 16 you can choose to go to:

  • sixth form 
  • college
  • join a training programme

Sixth form is:

  • the last two years at a school
  • for young people aged 16 to 18

Colleges are:

  • separate from schools 
  • for young people aged 16 to 25 years old 
  • able to offer you a wider range of things to study 

Find out more about the different qualifications available on the Post 16 website Go to https://www.p16p.co.uk/qualifications-explained (opens new window)

Find a course in Bristol

To help you find a course see:

Education for ages 18 and over

After your 18th birthday, you can choose to:

  • stay in education
  • join a training course
  • find work

Stay in education

There are lots of higher education courses you can choose from:

How to get extra help at school, college or university

If you have a special need or disability, you may need extra help in a range of areas  such as:

  • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • expressing yourself or understanding what others are saying
  • making friends or talking to others
  • organising yourself
  • sensory or physical needs which may affect your learning

Who can help arrange support in learning

Your school, college or university will have a person whose job it is to make sure you get the support you need. They're sometimes called a special educational needs coordinator (SENCO). If they don't know you need extra support, you can speak with your parents or carers about telling them.

If you feel you need extra support and are struggling, you may need a support plan. 

If you have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, your school, college or training provider will use this to make sure you're supported in your learning. 

If you need support to tell them what type of help you need, you can contact the free service managed by SEND And You (SAY)

Benefits you can apply for

You might be able to apply for different types of benefits.  Find out about other benefits you may get.