How the Immigration Act of 2016 applies to licences issued under the Licensing Act 2003 and the types of documents we accept for proof of right to work.

For Licensing Act 2003 applications (Grants, Variations, Transfers, Interim Authority Notices and Personal Licences) made on or after 6 April 2017,  you must have a right to work check and provide evidence of your entitlement to work in the UK. 

If you fail to provide a document as detailed in the pdf list of acceptable forms identification (92 KB) ,  then this will invalidate your application. 

If a person ceases to have the right to live and work within the UK, that any licence issued will lapse.

Therefore it is incumbent on the applicant to ensure that any documents are supplied to us as soon as possible if their right to live and work in the UK expires mid way through a licence period.

It also remains an offence to employ persons at a licensed premises who do not have the right to live or work in the UK. It is down to the applicant for any licence that they check the validity of the documents provided to them by their workers.

If a licensed premises in Bristol is found to be employing illegal workers, it is likely that a review of that licence will be applied for with a view to having it revoked. It is also likely that we will ask for any personal licence to be revoked.

This is in addition to the financial and criminal penalties which may apply through other legislation.