Who needs a notice and how to apply.

You'll need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TENs) if you're holding an event with licensable activities.

Licensable activities

You'll need a temporary event notice for:

  • live entertainment such as plays, films, recorded music, indoor sporting events, live music and dance performances
  • sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am
  • sale and supply of alcohol

Before you apply

Read our pdf TENs guidance (190 KB) .

You must also check:

  • if you need any other permissions, such as permission from the landowner to use the site
  • if there are any restrictions, such as restrictions on planning permission or restrictions on your lease

The TEN will not override these permissions and you must make sure you are complying with all restrictions.

When to apply

We must receive your Standard Temporary Event Notice (TENs) at least 10 working days before your event.

We can accept an application for a notice no later than five working days before your event but this will be a Late Temporary Event Notice (late TENs).

The process and forms are the same for both Standard and Late Temporary Event Notices.

Who can apply and limits on how many times you can apply

To apply for TENs you must:

The TEN must:

  • involve no more than 499 people at your event at any one time including staff and performers
  • last no longer than 168 hours 

You can only have:

  • a maximum of 15 TENs per year for the same premises
  • an overall limit of no more than 21 event days

There must be at least a 24 hour gap between TENs.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice


Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

We'll send a copy of your TEN to the Police and Environmental Health.
You'll need to pay a fee of £21 

Other ways to apply 

You'll also need to give us a:

  • copy of the TEN marked 'Licensing'
  • copy of the TEN marked 'Environmental Health, c/o Licensing' 
  • cheque or postal order for £21.00 made payable to Bristol City Council 

You'll also need to:

  • post a copy of the notice to Chief Officer of Police, Licensing, First Floor, PO Box 3119, Bristol, BS1 9GG 
  • or deliver a copy of the notice by hand to the Chief Officer, Joint Enforcement Team, The Bridewell, 1-2 Bridewell Street, Bristol.  BS1 2AA

The Police, Environmental Health and Licensing must receive your notice at least five working days for Late TENs and at least 10 working days for standard TENs before your event.

If you want someone else to discuss your application or licence with us on your behalf, you'll need to give us written permission.

What happens next

When you apply for a TEN we'll send you an acknowledgement letter.

If you've applied for too many TENs in the last year we'll send a counter notice. This means your event won't be allowed to go ahead as any licensable activity won't be authorised.

If the Chief Officer of the Police and/or Environmental Health objects to a TEN, they'll issue an objection notice before the end of the third working day after they've received the notice.

If we receive an objection notice from the Chief Officer of the Police and/or Environmental Health to a late TEN, we'll send you a counter notice no later than 24 hours before the event. The event won't be allowed to go ahead. 

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies to Temporary Event Notices.

This means that you can assume your notice has been granted after 10 working days unless you've heard from us that there have been representations from responsible authorities.