It's important you don't put anything in your green garden waste bin or sacks that we can't use.
Only put loose garden waste in your garden waste bin and sacks.
Do not put garden waste in plastic bags or any other sort of packaging. This affects the composting process and contaminates the compost.
If your garden waste bin or sacks contain materials that should not be in there, it will not be emptied.
You can include:
- Branches, up to 10cm or 4 inches in thickness
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge prunings
- Leaves and bark
- Straw or sawdust, bedding material from pets such as gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits, as long as fed a vegetarian diet
- Weeds, no Japanese Knotweed
You cannot include:
- Cardboard, put this in your blue bag
- Cat, dog or other pet litter
- Cooked and uncooked food, put this in your brown food bin
- Japanese Knotweed
- Plant pots
- Plastic bags or packaging
- Soil and turf
- Stone or rubble
- Treated wood
- Vacuum cleaner contents
For more information about what you can and cannot include in your garden waste bin, check our pdf garden waste terms and conditions (129 KB) .