You need a permit for your van, pick-up or towing trailer over 1.52metres (5 feet) to go to the recycling centre.
It's illegal to bring business, trade or construction waste to the recycling centres.
You must get a permit for your van or trailer and trailer over 1.52 metres (5 feet).
There are different rules for hire vans and trailers.
Conditions of use:
- Owner must live in the Bristol City Council area.
- Waste must be from your own home.
- You cannot get a permit for a business vehicle.
How it works
The permit allows:
- disposal of household waste only
- 12 visits within 12 months of issue date
- cancellations must be made 2 hours before the booking, if you don't cancel the visit will contribute to your annual quota
Vehicles over 2.4m high
Vehicles over 2.4m high can use Hartcliffe Way Recycling Centre only, throughout the week.
Avonmouth and St Philips Recycling Centre are not accessible to vehicles over 2.4m high.
Apply for a permit
You can apply online for a permit. You'll need:
- Vehicle Registration Document (V5 log book, all pages)
- a photo card licence or a valid paper licence
- Council Tax or utility bill from the last three months
All documents must have the same Bristol City address.
How long it takes to get the permit
Approving applications can take up to 5 working days. You'll get a confirmation email once your application has been approved that will include your E-Permit Reference Number .
Other ways to apply
You can also apply by email or by post, details on the Bristol Waste permit scheme webpage.
Checks on permit use
To enter the Reuse and Recycling Centre you'll need to show your permit details when you arrive.
If we suspect the waste is not from your own home, or that the permit is being misused, we may cancel your permit or take legal action.
Damaged and lost permits
For existing paper permits send us your damaged permit, explaining why it needs replacing.
Write to us to tell us your permit is lost, giving us your name and address. Permits@bristolwastecompany.co.uk