Make your home more energy efficient, reduce your energy and water usage.
You can improve the energy efficiency of your home by:
- reducing the amount of electricity, gas or water you use
- installing insulation, double glazing or draught proofing
- installing a more efficient heating system
Reduce your energy use
Reducing your home's energy use will save you money and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Bristol Energy Service has low-cost tips Go to https://www.energyservicebristol.co.uk/domestic/energy-saving-tips/ (opens new window) that could save energy around your home.
- Get free advice about home energy on the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) website Go to https://www.cse.org.uk/my-home/advice/ (opens new window), including information about the different types of insulation you can get and how to heat your home efficiently.
- The Bristol Climate Hub Go to https://www.bristolclimatehub.org/actions/?fwp_action_taker=personal (opens new window) has ideas about what you can do to reduce the carbon footprint of your home.
Water meters can help you improve your water efficiency at home.
If you have a water meter installed, you can:
- monitor how much water you use
- reduce your bills by only paying for the water you use
- get special rates or a capped bill if you're a low income household
Find out how a water meter could save you money on the Bristol Water website.
You can also look at other ways of reducing the amount of water you use, such as turning off the tap when you brush your teeth, taking shorter showers or collecting water in water butts for your garden.
Other things you could do
- think about installing solar panels to generate your own energy
- see if you can get a grant to improve the energy efficiency of your home