What the digital inclusion scheme is, who is eligible for laptops, how to donate to the scheme.
People without digital devices, internet access or basic IT skills face significant barriers:
- to education
- to training and employment
- in accessing services
- in staying connected with friends and family
What the digital inclusion scheme is
At least 3000 old council laptops will be recycled and given to people and groups in the city to help reduce digital poverty across the city.
Digital poverty includes limited or no:
- access to the internet
- ability to use online information and services
- access to a digital device, for example a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone
As well as the laptops, the scheme will provide:
- a starter data package, to give access to the internet
- a free introductory digital skills course, with tutor support from our Community Learning Team
Who will get laptops
We’ll give laptops to people such as:
- unemployed parents or carers of 2-year-olds who are eligible for 15 hours free childcare
- unemployed people, or people in insecure employment, aged 19 and over, with few or no qualifications
- young people between the ages of 16 and 18, and up to the age of 25 if they have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), who are:
- not in education, employment or training (NEET), or
- unable to finish their studies without a digital device and data
- older people without a digital device
- parents who take part in parenting programmes as part of the Families in Focus service and who cannot take part without a digital device
This digital inclusion scheme doesn’t provide laptops for schools. This is funded by the Department for Education.
We’ll contact people who we’ll give laptops to directly, or through another organisation, such as children’s centres or Age UK. We’ll ask them to fill in a form when they get the laptop, so that we have a record of who we’ve given laptops to.
Donate laptops to the digital inclusion scheme
If you're interested in donating laptops or other devices, email email@example.com for more information.