How to apply for a new year 7 secondary school place.
If your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013 you need to apply for a new year 7 secondary place. You must apply by 31 October 2023.
Apply online from 12 September 2023 for September 2024 admissions.
You'll need to register for an account on our Parent Portal. admissions system.
Before you apply
- Check application timetable
- check your local authority area Go to https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council (opens new window)
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol year 7 secondary place
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan don't apply to School Admissions, see Apply for a key stage transfer school place for a child with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan on our Local Offer site or email the Special Educational Needs Team at email@example.com for how to apply
- read our information about Bristol secondary schools
- you must use your child's legal name on the application
- upload with your online application your preferred schools written response to your request to consider an application for a child working outside their chronological year group. This must be received before the 31 October 2023 closing date to enable you to make an online application.
For other year group school places make an In year application
If you're applying for a school place whilst outside the country you can't apply online. You must fill in and return pdf secondary application form (695 KB) . You can either fill in the form online and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 October 2023 or print and return the form by post.
Other ways to apply
Fill in and return pdf secondary application form (695 KB) .
Apply by 31 October 2023.
Offers of school places for on time applications will be sent on 1 March 2024.
The final date and time for making limited changes to an application submitted by 31 October 2023 is midnight on the 3 November 2023.
Supplementary information forms
You may need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF) as well as the Bristol City Council application form for some schools.
Although the deadline for completing the Bristol City Council application form is 31 October 2023, some schools including grammar schools in neighbouring areas may be holding aptitude and attainment tests before this date. See your preferred school's admissions policy for more information.
You can express a preference for up to three schools in your order of preference from one to three. All your preferences are considered equally against the schools admission criteria regardless of whether you have put them as preference one, two or three.
If your child qualifies for a place at more than one of your three preferred schools your highest ranked preference school will be offered to you and lower ranked preferences withdrawn.