Replace a lost, damaged or stolen bus pass.

We are aware that some citizens whose travel cards have expired or will expire between 1 May and 21 May have not yet received their replacements. We are actively working to deliver these as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Lost or damaged bus pass or change of name

If you've lost or damaged your bus pass, or you need to change your name, you can order and pay for a new one over the phone.

Call: 0117 922 2600

We accept all debit or credit cards.


A replacement bus pass is £7.45

Stolen bus pass

You'll need to provide a Crime Reference Number.

Replace a stolen bus pass


It's free to replace your bus pass if it has been stolen.

Other ways to pay

If you are unable to make a payment over the phone you can fill in and return a pdf paper application form (145 KB)  .

Cheque and Postal Orders should be made payable to Bristol City Council.

Send it to:

Renew your pass

You don't need to renew your bus pass if your current one is expiring soon. Well contact you before the other one runs out.

If you do not hear from us, email or call 0117 922 2600.

Contact us

Concessionary Travel (CH)
PO Box 3399

Telephone: 0117 922 2600