Make small changes to a premises licence, like adding or changing licensable activities and operating times.

Off-sales of alcohol extension: important update

The government have reconsidered the announcement to end off-sales of alcohol on 30 September 2023.

They have decided to extend the alcohol licensing regulatory easements relating to off-sales, set out in the Business and Planning Act 2020 (BPA), until 31 March 2025.

Find out more on Licensing Act 2003: regulatory easements consultation responses on GOV.UK.

You can apply for minor variations to your premises licence such as:

  • small changes to premises layouts or structures
  • reduce licensing hours
  • move the hours for alcohol within 7am and 11pm, but not extend them
  • removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions
  • add conditions
  • add regulated entertainment and late night refreshment 

Before you apply

Read our pdf guidance for minor variation applications (226 KB) .

You must also check:

  • if you need any other permissions, such as permission from the landowner to use the site
  • any restrictions, such as restrictions on planning permission or restrictions on your lease

The licence you get will not override these permissions and you must make sure you are complying with all restrictions.

Apply online

Apply for a minor variation to a premises licence
on the GOV.UK website

Other ways to apply

Fill in and return  pdf application for minor variation form. (398 KB)

If you want someone else to discuss your application or licence with us on your behalf, you'll need to give us written permission.

How to pay


A minor variation costs £89


If you apply online, pay directly with a debit or credit card.

If you apply by post, pay by cheque or postal order made payable to Bristol City Council

Let people know about the application

You must display a notice of the application at the premises for 10 working days starting from the day after the application was  submitted . The site notice must be:

  • on white paper
  • A4 size or larger
  • header font size 32 or larger and content font size 16 or larger

There is a sample site notice for a minor variation in our  pdf guidance for minor variation applications (226 KB) .

If you haven't advertised correctly, we will not be able to determine your application. You may have to reapply.

What happens next

There's a 10 working day representation period from the date you apply. We'll consult with any responsible authorities that we need to. After this time, we'll determine your application, taking into account any representations made.

We'll consider if the variation will have a negative effect on any of the licensing objectives of prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance, and protection of children from harm.

If we think it will not have a negative effect, we'll grant the application.  

If we think we think it may have a negative effect, we'll refuse the application.

Tacit consent does not apply

Tacit consent does not apply to minor variation applications.  You must have confirmation from us that the variations have been added to your licence.