Make changes to a premises licence.

Off-sales of alcohol extension: important update

The government have reconsidered the announcement to end off-sales of alcohol on 30 September 2023.

They have decided to extend the alcohol licensing regulatory easements relating to off-sales, set out in the Business and Planning Act 2020 (BPA), until 31 March 2025.

Find out more on Licensing Act 2003: regulatory easements consultation responses on GOV.UK.

You can apply to vary your premises licence to:

  • extend the hours for existing licensable activities
  • apply for extra licensable activities
  • remove conditions on an existing licence
  • make changes to the premises layout or structure

If the variation is minor you should apply for a minor variation. A minor variation is a simplified process for:

  • making small changes to premises layouts or structures
  • reducing licensing hours
  • removing out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions
  • adding conditions
  • adding licensable activities that will not affect the licensing objectives of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm

Before you apply

Read pdf How to apply for the variation of a pemises licence (273 KB) .

You must also check:

  • if you need any other permissions, such as permission from the landowner to use the site
  • any restrictions, such as restrictions on planning permission or restrictions on your lease

The licence you get will not override these permissions and you must make sure you are complying with all restrictions.

Apply online

Apply to vary a premises licence
on the GOV.UK website

Other ways to apply

Fill in and return pdf application to vary premises licence (PREM 6) (517 KB)  or document application to vary premises licence (314 KB) .

If you want someone else to discuss your application or licence with us on your behalf, you'll need to give us written permission.


The amount you pay is based on the rateable value of the premises. Premises that don't have a rateable value are in Band A for licence variation purposes. The rateable value is set by the valuation office.

Check the rateable value of the premises Go to (opens new window) on GOV.UK

There is a multiplier applied to premises in Bands D ( x 2 basic fee) and E ( x 3 basic fee) where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of supplying alcohol. 

Application fee and multiplier by rateable value
Non-domestic rateable value bandApplication feeMultiplier
A (£0 - £4,300) £100 0
B (£4,301 - £33,000) £190 0
C (£33,001 - £87,000) £315 0
D (£87,001 - £125,000) £450 £900
E (£125,001 and over) £635 £1905

There are additional fees if you intend to have more than 4,999 people on your premises at any one time. You'll need to pay these on application.

How to pay

If you apply online, pay directly with a debit or credit card.

If you apply by post, pay by cheque or postal order made payable to Bristol City Council.

Tell people about the application

You must:

  • display a notice of the application at the premises for 28 days starting from the day after the application was submitted 
  • publish a notice of the application in a locally circulated newspaper, within 10 working daysfrom the day after the application was submitted

There are further requirements for both these notices (see our  pdf how to apply to vary a premises licence guidance (273 KB)  for more information).

You need to check with us if you want to use a different local newspaper by emailing

The site notice must be:

  • on pale blue paper
  • A4 size or larger
  • font size 16 or larger

There is a sample site notice for variation in our pdf guidance notes (273 KB) .

If you apply by post, you'll also need to give notice of your application and copies of documentation on the same day that you make the application to the responsible authorities.

What happens next

There's a 28 day representation period from the date you apply.  After this has ended, we'll grant the licence if:

  • there haven't been any representations from responsible authorities or relevant persons, and
  • you have advertised correctly

We'll issue the licence shortly after.

If there's representation from a responsible authority or relevant persons, the licensing committee Go to (opens new window) will need to look at your application.  

We'll arrange a hearing with the licensing committee within 20 working days from the representation period end date. If a hearing is held a licence will be either:

  • granted
  • granted with some extra conditions
  • refused

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies to premises licences. This means you can assume your application has been granted after the 28 day consultation period has ended, unless you've heard from us that there have been representations from responsible authorities or relevant persons.

Please contact us before using the licence, to make sure no representations have been made.