What EU Settlement Scheme is, how to apply and how to get help with identity verification

Pre-settled status extension

From September 2023, if you have pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) you will automatically have your status extended by 2 years before it expires if you have not obtained settled status.

This will make sure that you do not lose your immigration status if you do not apply to switch from pre-settled to settled status.

The deadline for most people to apply was 30 June 2021. 

You can still apply if that deadline did not apply to you, or you have reasonable grounds' for why you did not apply by the deadline.

If you're an EU citizen living in the UK, you must have applied to continue living lawfully in the UK, even if you have lived in the UK most of your life. 

If you're applying for yourself and your children, make your own application first.

If you've already started to apply, you can continue your application.

Get advice and guidance

Community advice centres

Extra support is available from these community advice centres:

You'll need to contact the centres directly.

Your rights with settled or pre-settled status

You'll be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS for free, if you can now
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you're eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

View and prove your immigration status

You can view your immigration status online on GOV.UK.

You can use this service to:

  • get a share code' to prove your status to others, for example employers
  • update personal details in your UK Visas and Immigration account, for example your passport number or email address
  • check what rights you have in the UK, for example the right to work, rent or claim benefits

If your application is successful

The Home Office will email you a link to an online service that you can use to view and prove your status.

If your application is unsuccessful

You may be able to apply for an administrative review of the decision.

Specialist help from the Official Settlement Resolution Centre 0300 123 7379


Translated information materials (GOV.UK)

Translations are being updated so are currently unavailable.