What to do if you're worried about the welfare of a farm animal, livestock, or pet.

Worried about farm animals or livestock

If you're worried about the health of a farm animal or livestock:

  • speak to the owners of the farm or livestock
  • write a letter of complaint to them

You can also tell us if you're worried about animals or livestock:

  • in farms or fields, allotments, or other land (smallholdings)
  • in transit
  • being imported, including dogs being sold from other countries

Your report will be passed to an animal health officer who will investigate and take action if necessary.

Tell us if you're worried about farm animals or livestock

Contact us by:

    • phone on 0117 9222 500 (option 2), Mondays to Thursdays, 8.30am to 5pm, or on Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm
    • email at animal.health@bristol.gov.uk
    • letter at:

Trading Standards (100TS)
PO Box 3399

What information to include in your report

The information you include in your report depends on where you saw the animal.

In a farms or smallholding


  • details of where the animals are being kept
  • any information about the owner or person responsible for the animals, including the landowner, if possible
  • details of the welfare issue

In transit


  • any details about the vehicle
  • details of the welfare issue
  • where the welfare issue occurred
  • contact information for vehicle or animal owner, if possible

Being imported


  • any information about the animal owner, including contact information or address
  • details of the animal or welfare concern
  • any information about where the animal entered the UK

Worried about a pet in distress

Read the information about reporting animal cruelty on the RSPCA website.

Only call the RSPCA to report:

  • a pet that is sick, injured or trapped, when it's not safe or suitable for you to help the animal
  • a pet in a situation that may result in risk to life or imminent danger of it being harmed

Call the RSPCA 24 hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.